Saturday, October 28, 2006

even snow can roar

As the storm, a genuine blizzard, finally arrived last night, I curled up on my sofa with a good book and some cheese and wine (to compensate after a tough volleball training session) and lit a candle to increase the coziness factor.

At some point, however, I couldn't resist venturing out on the balcony. It's a glazed balcony but a couple of the glass panes I've never managed to shut properly so wet snow was whirling in and the rest of the panes were rattling in the wind rather threateningly. Freezing cold. Yet, the sight of the snow masses drifting past against the background of the dark sky had me spellbound for a long time. The snowflakes, though wet and heavy, were not falling, they were being carried horisontally by the wind. Meaning there will be snow on the ground tomorrow but not too much. Wonder how many miles inland those snow flakes finally end up?

During the night, in my uneasy sleep, I could feel the building trembling around me.

In the morning, all was quiet and peaceful. A grey light over a landscape covered in white, and a bird singing. We survived and we are calm and humble.

No comments: