Monday, October 09, 2006

evening delights

A teenager is wandering around in the House of Seven Widows. He rang on my door and asked me if I avail myself of cleaning service. I thought he was going to advertise his own services but his next question was whether I suffer from asthma. Turned out he was selling air humidifiers.

The widow next door closed the door in his face before he even made it to the asthma question with her. I wonder how many of the other widows he will survive. They don't take kindly to door-to-door vendors. He's the first I've seen who's even made it to the fourth floor of the building. Must have been his teenage charm.

The weather is rainy and cold, as usual, and I wrap myself in an old sweater. I keep my laptop on my lap because its ineffective fan makes it a nice little heater. I sleep more than I should when the weather is like this. Today I had to get up early for a job interview and was reminded of the scary, unpleasant coldness of the early hour when normal people have to get up. Don't think I miss those times when I had to be up by six to cycle through a deserted city to get to work.

I'm an evening person. The twilight time, the blue hour, when people are taking their early evening strolls, the smell of dinner cooking is wafting through windows and lamps are lit, when dogs are barking and children are out playing, that's my favourite time. I love to watch the sky darken and listen to the sounds of human beings returning home.

2 comments:

Prince K. said...

GREAT UPDATES!!!!
And the usual good post... how do you do it?

Hopefully the teenager survived the 7 widows {Of course kinship comes into play.. I am a teenager too}

Rainy and cold. Is it always like that there?
Its sultry and humid here...as usual. And a bit of rain to remind you of things that shouldn't be reminded of....

Tell me, when do you completely forget your first love?

Different Pen said...

Thanks!

I think the teenager survived, saw him leave the building running, a wild look in his eyes...

Nobody ever forgets their first love... But ok, you get over the pain sooner or later. Usually sooner. (Dr. PP has spoken)