Sunday, March 23, 2014

is it right to call them players?

The male version of the  volleyball tournament  was indeed a more genial affair than its female counterpart.

Much less shrieking and shouting, at least. Perhaps less emotion. Or the emotion might have been of a purer sort of joy or frustration, which is vented in one single burst and then forgotten. There was plenty of joking both within and between teams.

When the women were playing, yesterday, there were sour comments whispered about that team nobody liked. There were a few arguments with the referee, some vicious glaring and a number of arrogant attitudes being thrown around.

Or maybe that was all in my imagination. Perhaps I saw arrogance where there were only strong wills and a healthy fighting spirit. My own bad attitude ( hopefully well hidden ) might have influenced my perception of things.

All I know is that I was in a great mood when I arrived at the ladies' volleyball tournament to play with my team. Within two minutes of arriving, somebody looked at me the wrong way and I suddenly hated everything. Our team finished second, after the team I hated most of all, and I went home and cried.

In the men's tournament today I was helping my friends in the men's team that never has quite enough men. A great day, lots of laughter. Winning seemed only natural. And it was.

No comments: