Wednesday, March 19, 2014

return of the confused bookseller

A twist in my fate.

Today I was selling angels, wrapping presents and answering questions about books I don't know. In short, I was back in the Little Shop of Harmony, the little book/ gift shop I left exactly a year ago.

Most of the customers were familiar. A few asked me if I was back for good, others just looked slightly bemused to see me. The cashier system was the new, complicated one that was installed shortly before I left. I couldn't remember a thing about it and had to start by reading the manual I had written for my coworkers before I took off for greener pastures.

The only real change was that the charity shop in the basement was gone. The Aladdin's Cave filled to bursting with second-hand treasures of every kind, the meeting place of humanity, from women in hijabs to goth teenagers. All gone. It feels like the soul of the place is missing.

I'm not back for good, just helping out every now and then. That is fine with me. Going back to something I left behind me once feels wrong. I'm like a shark - I have to keep moving to stay alive.

But I still like the people here. I sold some books and some angels, wrestled them through the cashier system and was comforted by the fact that the coffee in this workplace is MUCH better than in my previous one.

No comments: